COVID-19 has recently developed into a pandemic and most countries are being affected as of March 2020. However, the exchange of knowledge and sharing of new contacts must be preserved in order to pursue research opportunities, namely through initiatives (conferences and workshops) that must be adapted to current needs. Currently, we plan to run SiPS 2020 in Coimbra next October 2020. But SiPS’20 organizing committee wishes to announce that in case attendees are affected by traveling restrictions, video and other virtual conferencing options will be provided. Also, case SiPS 2020 cannot ignore the impact of COVID-19, we will provide an entire online conference solution to run SiPS 2020 in a virtual format that better suits everybody’s needs.
Travel Safety and Medical Guidelines:
Please know that our thoughts are with those affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. The health and safety of our members and participants are our first priority. We are closely monitoring any specific travel advisories through official channels, which include:
- World Health Organization
- Centers for Disease Control
- National Health Commission of the People’s Republic of China
- Portuguese general health governmental agency (Direção Geral de Saúde)
Before traveling to the conference, we recommend that you stay informed of any information your local health agencies may make available and take reasonable precautions to protect yourself. IEEE continues to closely monitor this dynamic situation and will provide updates with any developments.
The following proactive steps are being taken to maintain a safe and healthy environment at SIPS 2020:
- We are committed to following regional jurisdiction guidelines and rules in maintaining a safe environment for our attendees. The World Health Organization’s (WHO) guidelines are located here.
- We are working closely with local officials Convento de São Francisco in Coimbra and surrounding venues hosting official SIPS 2020 programming to ensure there are sufficient medical processes in place and sanitation products readily available.
- We are supporting individuals who may be unable to travel to Coimbra from affected regions.
- We will continue to provide timely WHO and other relevant updates to registered attendees throughout the conference as needed.